Sunday, September 7, 2008

Handover process (Radio talk show, First lady) & handover!

Hi All,

I have been planning this for a long time now but did not get to it. I guess I was trying to avoid writing in and really did not want to face the reality that I would be less active in the HFU.

We were to leave Uganda on June 25, 2008 and the activities undertaken / goals achieved are as follows:

1. Radio Talk Show on Radio One on June 21, 2008 @ 0800 hours
  Henry Ddungu had a talk show running on Radio One that used to focus primarily on Malaria. 
On June 21st, we got an opportunity to present haemophilia. Henry, Joseph and myself participitated.
Henry devised a unique 'human' approach. 
Pursuant to his plan, we started off with Joseph and me sharing our experience of how we learned
that Jovan and Adwaiy were hemophilic and our experiences.
The show was a success with the RJ telling us that never before he had so many people calling in.

2. Tried to enroll the First Lady of Uganda, Mrs. Janet Kataha Museveni
When the possibility of having to leave Uganda loomed large, I tried to enroll the First lady in the 
cause.
Through a letter written on June 6th, I tried to gain an appointment with her ladyship.
However, given her ladyship's itinerary, the meeting did not materialize before I left.

3. Handover Meeting at residence on June 24, 2008
A luncheon meeting was organized on June 24, 2008 at my residence, with Dr. Nzaro, Dr. Henry Ddungu
and Aisu Steven in attendance, apart from yours truly.
  All papers relating to the HFU and all details of contacts developed for the HFU were handed over to 
them.
  Attached are some pictures taken at the meeting. Ironically, I bought the camera primarily for taking 
pictures of PWHs HFU, in India and bought to Uganda on June 23 (two days before leaving).

4. I cannot conclude without a mention of the unique way that Sudhir Suvarna from Australia wanted to
contribute to the HFU. On his daughter's birthday, he got his daughter what she wanted and requested
that no presents be given but cash contributions be given, to be forwarded to the HFU. He managed to 
collect $ 300.
Though this did not bear fruit, the thought in itself is commendable. Kudos to you, Sudhir!

I am sure Henry, Aisu, Dr. Nzaro and the others will carry the torch and the HFU will bring smiles to PWHs
in Uganda.

From left - Aisu Steven, Dr. Henry Ddungu & Dr. Easu Nzaro

From left - Aisu Steven & Dr. Henry Ddungu

From left - Dr. Henry Ddungu & Dr. Easu Nzaro

Aisu Steven & Satish

No comments: